Quantcast
skip navigation
Home Regional Publications Football Basketball Baseball Softball More Sports Search Results Watch Live Buy Photos Sign up School Finder
350 N. Orleans St., 10th Floor
Chicago, IL 60654
(312) 321-3000
The Aurora Beacon is first published in 1846. In 1905 Col. Ira C. Copley bought the Aurora Beacon, merging it with the Aurora News and three other newspapers into the Daily Beacon-News, which first appeared on January 2, 1912.
 
What later became Copley Press sold its Fox Valley Press Inc. division to Hollinger International in 2000. Hollinger also bought Fox Valley Press' Sun Publications in Naperville, a group of 13 weekly papers.
 
Those newspapers are now owned by Sun-Times Media Holdings, LLC.
495 N. Commons Drive, Suite 200
Aurora, IL 60504
(630) 978-8880
The Daily Bluff City, Elgin, Illinois' first newspaper, was launched in 1874.
 
It merged with The Elgin Daily News in 1876. The Elgin Courier-News was later created in 1925 from a merger of The Elgin Daily News and The Elgin Daily Courier, which was founded in 1884.
 
The Courier-News was purchased by what is now Sun-Times Media in 2000. 
495 Commons Drive
Aurora, IL 60504
(630) 978-8880
The Joliet News was first published in 1877 and the Joliet Herald was launched in 1904.
 
Col. Ira C. Copley bought The Herald in 1913 and added the printing equipment and circulation lists of The News to his company in 1915, when he merged the two papers to create the Herald News.
 
What later became Copley Press sold its Fox Valley Press Inc. division to Hollinger International in 2000. Hollinger also bought Fox Valley Press' Sun Publications in Naperville, a group of 13 weekly papers.
 

The former Hollinger is now Sun-Times Media. 

2175 Oneida St
Joliet, IL, 60435
(815) 773-7173
Frank H. Just launched the weekly Independent in Libertyville and bought the Waukegan Daily Sun in 1906.
 
He edited both papers and in 1911 changed the papers' names to The Lake County Independent and Waukegan Weekly Sun. He sold the Sun that year, and in 1916 launched a new paper, the Lake County Register, to compete with the Sun. He started the Waukegan Daily News in 1921 and continued building both enterprises and gaining in circulation.
 
Heated competition forced the Sun's owners to sell it in 1929 to a group of Chicago investors. Just purchased The Daily Sun in 1930. He merged the papers to create The Waukegan News-Sun. The paper stayed in the Just family until 1984, when The Copley Press added it to its roster of 11 daily papers.

Copley Press sold its Fox Valley Press Inc. division to Hollinger International in 2000, which is now Sun-Times Media. 

1225 Tri-State Parkway, Suite 570
Gurnee, IL 60031
(847) 249-7231
495 N. Commons Drive, Suite 200
Aurora, IL 60504
(630) 978-8880

The SouthtownStar newspaper debuted Nov. 18, 2007, after the merger of the Daily Southtown and the Star Newspapers.

The Daily Southtown began as the Englewood Economist on Sept. 11, 1906. In 1924, the paper merged with two other papers in expanding areas south and west of Englewood, and the Southtown Economist was born. In 1978, the Southtown became a daily newspaper, and in 1994 was sold to a division of Hollinger Inc.
 
At the time of the acquisition by the Sun-Times Co. in 1986, the Star was publishing 12 newspapers in four zones.
 
In 1994, American Publishing Co. and its parent, Hollinger International, purchased the Sun-Times Co., bringing The Star into a newly formed Chicago publishing group owned by Hollinger.
18312 S. West Creek Drive
Tinley Park, IL 60477
(708) 633-4800
The Post-Tribune had its beginnings in 1907, when The Gary Weekly was established to serve the brand-new steel industry rising on the shores of Lake Michigan. It became a daily. 
 
On March 9, 1910, J.R. and H.B. Snyder purchased the Gary evening Post. They merged with the original Gary paper in July 1921, starting the Post-Tribune as a newspaper.
 
In August 1966, the Snyder heirs sold the paper to Northwest Publications, Inc., part of a brand-new nationwide newspaper company, Ridder Publications. The “Gary” was dropped from the masthead as a regional newspaper flourished. In 1974, The Post-Tribune became part of the former Knight-Ridder chain.
 

On Feb. 2, 1998, American Publishing took over and has become the chain which is now the Sun-Times News Group. 

1433 E. 83rd Ave.
Merrillville, IN 46410
(219) 648-3100