||Search Results||Watch Live||Buy Photos||Sign up||School Finder|
Lincoln-Way North's Shannon Murphy makes a dig against Lincoln-Way Central Sept. 13, 2012. | Brett Roseman/Sun-Times Media
Meatheads is a chain of fast-casual burger restaurants throughout the Chicagoland area. Each month, it recognizes a student-athlete in the area surrounding each location for his or her accomplishments on and off the field.
1. How do you exemplify Meatheads’ values of determination, hustle and hard work?
I exemplify hard work, hustle and determination by practicing three hours a day, five days a week. I give everything I have at every single practice. I also work out and work on my mental toughness to make myself an all-around better player.
2. What were your greatest athletic and academic achievements over the last month?
My greatest athletic achievement this past month was beating our rivals, Lincoln-Way East. It was a tough game but very fun. It felt really good to beat another Lincoln-Way on our home court with a ton of our fans behind us. My greatest academic achievement this past month was getting a B on my first AP Calculus test. It was a great feeling because it is my hardest class and it was a really tough test.
3. Is there a teammate, coach, faculty or family member you’d credit most with your athletic and academic successes?
I would credit my successes to my coach, Mrs. Brown. She pushes me to do my best every practice/game and never gives up until I reach my full potential. She always gives out constructive criticism and helps me become mentally tough.
4. Where are you going to college, or where do you want to go?
I am committing to Tusculum College in Tennessee in November. I plan on majoring in physical therapy.
5. Do you plan on playing a sport in college?
I plan on continuing my volleyball career at Tusculum.
6. Who is your favorite athlete playing today, collegiate or professional?
My favorite athlete playing today is Joakim Noah. His love for the game is inspiring and he is a well-rounded player. He puts so much heart into everything he does and I believe that is a big reason of why he is such a good player.
7. What’s on your iPod right now?
I listen to a lot of different music but my iPod mostly consists of country and alternative.
8. What’s the best movie or television show you’ve seen recently?
My favorite TV show is “The Vampire Diaries.” My best friend introduced it to me last year and I have been obsessed ever since. A new season just started, which I’m really excited about.
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In 10 years, I’ll be 27. I see myself graduated from college and getting my dream job as a physical therapist. I hope to get married soon after that.
10. What is your favorite motivational quote?
My favorite motivational quote is, “If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan
Voting for October's Meatheads of the Month begins Oct. 14 at highschoolcubenews.com/meatheads.