skip navigation
Home Regional Publications Football Basketball Baseball Softball More Sports Search Results Watch Live Buy Photos Sign up School Finder

Foreman squeaks past Glenbrook South

02/27/2013, 11:00pm CST
By Jonah Rosenblum

Foreman’s Carl White’s free throws with just second remaining gave the visitors a 49-46 win over Glenbrook South in a regional semifinal hosted by the Titans. The Hornets next face Notre Dame on Friday.

After a long, exhausting 32 minutes of basketball, Terry Head chugged not one, not two, not three but four cups of water. The Foreman boys basketball coach described it as a four cup of water type of game.

“That was a four cup of water (game),” Head said. “It tasted real good going down too.”

In a Wednesday night game that was marked as much by sloppy turnovers and disputed calls as it was by made baskets, seventh-seeded Foreman prevailed, 49-46, over 10th-seeded Glenbrook South in the IHSA Glenbrook South Regional Semifinals.

It wasn’t easy though.

Leading by a single point, senior forward Carl White received a pass from junior guard Marcus Gatlin and swooped under the hoop for a layup to give the Hornets a three-point lead with less than a minute remaining.

“Carl White is the best unsigned senior in the state,” Head said. “We wouldn’t have won the game without him today.”

They almost didn’t win it with him, either.

With 15.8 seconds remaining, Gatlin stole Glenbrook South’s inbounds pass, only to hear the sharp shrill of the referee’s whistle. He was called for traveling in spite of the howls from the Foreman fan base. Then, with 5.2 seconds remaining, Titans senior sharpshooter Max Cohen was fouled on a spot-up three, but he missed the back end of his three free-throw attempts meaning the Hornets still led by one.

“In any game, even if it’s a one possession game, it’s never one play,” Glenbrook South coach Ben Widner said. “It’s all of us. Every single one of us could have done a play better.”

Still, even after White made two free throws to put the Hornets back up by three with 4.1 seconds remaining, the Titans had a chance, but Cohen traveled as he tried to set his feet for a three-point attempt. With two seconds to go, Foreman had the game within its grasp, but White’s inbounds pass sailed over his teammate’s head, allowing Glenbrook South one last shot at salvaging its season.

Senior forward Justin Busiel came up short on his buzzer-beating three-point attempt, however, allowing the Hornets to move on to the Glenbrook South Regional championship game. On Friday night, they will take on second seed Notre Dame, which pummeled 15th seed Von Steuben earlier in the night, 67-42. Even after witnessing the Dons’ beatdown firsthand, Head remained undaunted.

“They didn’t scare me,” Head said. “We are going to come to play. They’re a good team. They run some good stuff. They play faster than I thought they did, but I’m not scared of nobody.”

Tag(s): Top News  Top News  Glenbrook South  Foreman  Top News