skip navigation
Home Regional Publications Football Basketball Baseball Softball More Sports Search Results Watch Live Buy Photos Sign up School Finder

Hillcrest's Kyle Oden flies to the hoop with Homewood-Flossmoor's Kamar Wofford-Humphrey attempting to block. | Patrick Gleason~For Sun-Times Media

With nine seconds left in overtime Saturday, Hillcrest junior guard Allen Jones drained a three-pointer from the side to tie the Hawks’ game against host Homewood-Flossmoor.

Vikings coach Jim McLaughlin chose not to call a timeout, and Rashaan Surles validated his decision.

Surles pulled up for a highly-contested three-pointer, drew the foul and hit nothing but net at the buzzer for the game-winner as No. 15 Homewood-Flossmoor escaped with a 68-65 win over No. 22 Hillcrest.

The victory avenged last season’s Proviso West Tournament loss to the Hawks in which the Vikings blew a 20-point lead before losing on a last-second shot.

“We practice end-of-the-game situations a lot in practice, so me and my teammates were comfortable in that situation,” Surles said. “This felt great.

The play was actually made by Jason [Scott] — he set the screen for me. And we practice coming off the screen shots a lot. When I shot it, I knew it was going in.”

Surles quickly ran into the waiting arms of the Vikings fans, who stormed the court in excitement. He finished with 21 points, including 11 in the first half to help the Vikings take a 34-28 lead into the break. Maurius Hill scored 13 points off the bench, including three in overtime for the Vikings (18-5).

Jovan Mooring led the Hawks (17-6) with 24 points, including two free throws with 44.2 seconds left to send the game into overtime. A three-point attempt by Surles at the buzzer in regulation fell short. Hillcrest 6-7 sophomore Taylor Adway had 16 points before fouling out with 1:27 left in regulation and the Hawks trailing 59-58.

“This was a great basketball game and that’s what it’s all about,” Hillcrest coach Don Houston said. “Both teams played as hard as they could and that’s how it goes. They hit a last second shot and they did what they had to do at the end.

“Jones hit a great shot but he didn’t have a chance to enjoy it very long.”
The Vikings raced to a 13-5 lead and led the entire game until the opening seconds of overtime when Mooring hit a layup to give the Hawks their first lead at 62-60.

“It’s a classic neighborhood rivalry and we really respect their program,” McLaughlin said. “Instead of letting them set up their defense we let the kids play so it was a nice win.”

Tag(s): Featured  Top News  Featured  Top News  Hillcrest  Homewood-Flossmoor  Featured  Top News